Building Plans - Sparkhill Branch
Date Plans passed: October 7th 1927
Architect: H Stewart Evans/City Surveyor
Pearce & Son
On October 1st 1927, the Bank's architect, H Stewart Evans submitted plans to convert premises at 482 Stratford Road into a branch
to be called Sparkhill. But, the Bank's Committee Minutes stated (in July 1927) that "the proposals of the City Surveyor
for the adaption of these premises, the estimated cost of the proposals being £2,250, which the Sub-Committee thought too costly having
regard to the condition and size of the premises".
The Committee decided that an alternative plan be prepared by an independent Architect.
However, a letter dated October 25th 1927 (right) shows that the City Surveyor has prepared the plans and is dealing with
the Town Planning Sub-Committee on an issue regarding a projection of the building.
Although the City Surveyor cannot recognise such an obstruction, the Block Plan has a line drawn across the branch's entrance, and
a note on the plan states "No projections in front of existing splay corner permitted in new work as confirmed with Mr D Evans on
the phone. Nov 28/27"
Messrs A Pearce & Sons were awarded the reconstruction contract at the sum of £1,900.
The branch premises, at the corner of Stratford Road and Shakespeare Street, are hatched in red. The location is between the
Bank's Sparkbrook branch (on Stratford Road to the left; also leading to the city centre) and Springfield branch - along Stratford
Road, to the right
The Ground Floor Plan shows the architect's solution to providing the normal branch facilities in this very awkwardly shaped
building. The entrance for depositors is at the corner of Stratford Road and Shakespeare Street and gives access to a narrow space
along the Stratford Road side of the building. Although the office space behind the counter is fairly spacious, the provision of staff
facilities behind the small strongroom is squeezed into a gradually narrowing space. There is a rear entrance for the staff from the
Architect's drawing of branch entrance
The Ground Floor Plan shows (hatched in brown) the entrance to the flat which is reached by a staircase squeezed into a small
space. The main residential accommodation is on the First Floor and two additional bedrooms are located on the Second Floor
A section drawing gives details of the staircase between the flat's three levels. The Foundation Plan (right) is noted that the old
cellars are to be left void, whereas most reconstructions at this period required cellars to be filled up
In this photograph taken just after the reconstruction was completed in July 1928, Shakespeare Street is on the right where the
door to the flat and a gate to the yard are visible. Carving the word 'Bank' over the depositors' entrance, specified by the architect,
has not been implemented