Building Plans - Northfield Branch
Date Plans passed: March 6th 1925
Architect: Gerald McMichael
F Swift & Sons Ltd
Northfield branch was built as a joint enterprise with the Electricity Department who owned a substantial plot of land surplus to
their requirements after building a sub-station. The front portion of the building was built as one-storey only, presumably in case
this area was required for road widening at a later date. No such requirement was forthcoming and this part of Northfield is now bypassed.
The Ground Floor Plan shows the split of the property between the Bank and the Electricity Department's shop The location of
the electricity sub-station (plus an extension) is behind the shop.
The single-storey feature of the building's design is detailed in the First Floor Plan (left) and the sectional drawing (above), and
is shown in the photograph (below), taken before the Electricity Department's shop has been opened. Access to the Bank flat is by
the door on the right of the photograph.