Building Plans - Duddeston Branch
Date Plans passed: July 21st 1922
Architect: Gerald McMichael
Surman & Son
Duddeston branch commenced business on September 1st 1919 in a former public house that retained many of the features of its previous
existence. After purchasing the freehold, Gerald McMichael was asked to prepare a plan of refurbishment for the premises at the corner
of Great Lister Street and Little Francis Street. The Bank owned both 117 and 118 Great Lister Street, the two units identified with
a red line on the above Block Plan
Gerald McMichael's plan has the entrance for depositors at the corner, and the Strongroom and staff facilities on the Little Francis
Street side of the building. The plan shows a pillar and beams that can be seen in the 1923 photograph below. Dwelling accommodation
is provided at the rear of the branch and on the First Floor (see Section drawing below)
Side Elevation of property viewed from Little Francis Street.
In 1926, the Bank obtained possession of the adjoining dwelling
accommodation and the City Surveyor prepared a plan for an extension of the branch; this work was carried out by A Pearce & Son -
the work being completed in 1927.