Branches
 
 
Home
 
 
Premises
 
 
Smethwick
Premises - Smethwick
(continued)

Special Bank Committee: November 25th 1938

 

6345   The Chairman reminded the Committee of the negotiations which had taken place for the acquisition of suitable property at Smethwick for branch Bank purposes, and explained the position in regard to the property known as "The Golden Cross", High Street, Smethwick, owned by the Smethwick Corporation, and also in regard to shop premises No 143, High Street, Smethwick, in respect of which negotiations had been authorised by the Bank Committee on October 17th.

 

The Chairman and Councillor Martineau, with the General Manager, felt that "The Golden Cross" premises were more favourably situated for Bank premises than the premises No 143, High Street, and that fresh efforts should be made to secure the former premises.

 

As the result of further negotiations, the Smethwick Corporation had now intimated their willingness to sell so much of "The Golden Cross" property (No 68, High Street, Smethwick) as is situate behind the prescribed improvement line, having an area of 243 square yards, for the sum of 4,000. It is understood between the Smethwick Corporation and the Bank that in any construction or rebuilding, there would be a set back of 10 feet to the prescribed building line: the Bank would have a right of way at the side of the property.

 

As this property was originally acquired by the Smethwick Corporation for 5,100, and is valued by Mr Wilde at 3,750, the Committee considered the proposed purchase price of 4,000 to be reasonable. It was accordingly:

 

6346   RESOLVED:- That the Council be recommended, subject to the necessary consents, to authorise the purchase of the freehold property situate at No 68, High Street, Smethwick, as above indicated, at the price of 4,000; and that the Town Clerk be instructed to prepare any necessary documents, affixing the Corporate Seal thereto.

 

Report to the City Council: December 7th 1938

 

PREMISES No 68, HIGH STREET, SMETHWICK

 

The Council is reminded that the consent of the Smethwick Corporation has been given to the establishment of a Branch or Branches of the Bank in Smethwick, and with a view to giving effect thereto your Committee have considered several proposals in respect of premises and sites, and have conferred with representatives of the Smethwick Corporation thereon.

 

After inspecting the district, it was concluded that the most suitable position for a Branch Bank would be between the Smethwick Station and the junction of St Paul's Road with the main road to Oldbury.

 

The Smethwick Corporation are the owners of freehold premises consisting of a de-licensed pubic-house, known as "The Golden Cross", and situate at No 68, High Street, and have expressed their willingness to sell to the Bank so much of this property as is situate behind the improvement line prescribed for High Street, having an area of approximately 243 square yards, as indicated by pink colouring on plan "A" accompanying this report. It was considered that this property was suitably situated for the Bank requirements, and, after negotiation, the purchase price has been agreed at 4,000, which your Committee are professionally advised is a reasonable one.

 

It is understood between the Smethwick Corporation and the Bank that in any construction or rebuilding there will be a set back of 10 feet to the prescribed building line. The Bank would have a right of way at the side of the property, as indicated by the colour blue on the plan.

 

The approval of the Council is sought to the purchase of the property at the price mentioned, subject to any necessary consents being obtained, and it is recommended that the Committee be authorised to make such arrangements for a Branch Bank as may be deemed desirable. The whole of the cost incurred would be defrayed out of the funds of the Bank.

 

Finance & General Purposes Sub-Committee: December 19th 1938

 

Branch premises for Smethwick and Shirley.

 

Your Sub-Committee have directed that Mr W N Twist, FRIBA, Architect, be invited to submit a plan for the erection of suitable premises on the site acquired at Shirley, and that upon a firm contract being entered into for the Smethwick property, Mr J B Surman, FRIBA, be invited to submit a plan for the provision of Branch Bank premises.

 

Bank Committee: December 19th 1938

 

6348   The following Minute of the City Council passed on presentation of the report of the Committee to the Council on December 6th was received:

 

It was moved by Mr Councillor Martineau, seconded, and Resolved:

34,310. That the proposal to purchase approximately 750 square yards of land adjoining No 214, Stratford Road, Shirley, at the price of 1 10s. 6d. per square yard, and to erect thereon premises for a branch Bank, as set out in the foregoing report, be approved.

 

Bank Committee: February 20th 1939

 

The General Manager submitted plans prepared by Mr J B Surman (Architect) for the erection of the Branch Bank Premises with accommodation over the Bank on the site acquired by the Bank at Smethwick in place of the existing buildings. The estimated cost of the work was 3,700.

 

The Committee considered that the accommodation over the Bank should be in the nature of Offices instead of a Flat, and also that it be unnecessary to provide for ornamentation of the frontage as indicated in the plan. Councillor Morley suggested the building should be of three storeys comprising two blocks of Offices over the Branch premises.

 

6437   RESOLVED:- That the Chairman and General Manager be requested to confer with the Architect as to whether the situation of the site would warrant the erection of a three-storey building and, if so, the Architect be requested to prepare a suitable plan and estimates; but in the event of a two-storey building being considered sufficient, the Architect be asked to amend his plan so as to provide for a block of suitable Offices and delete the ornamentation referred to; the new or revised plans and estimates to be referred to the Finance & General Purposes Sub-Committee for consideration and report.

 

Bank Committee: March 20th 1939

 

The following report of the Finance and General Purposes Sub-Committee was presented:

 

Site for Branch Bank Premises at Smethwick.

 

Your Committee are reminded that at the last meeting, after consideration of plans submitted by Mr J B Surman (Architect), the matter was referred back to this Sub-Committee with a view to considering whether office accommodation should be provided, and whether the building should be two storeys or three storeys.

 

As a result of further enquiries it appears that the demand at present for office accommodation in the vicinity in question is not such as to justify the provision of offices above the banking premises.

 

Under these circumstances, Mr Surman has been directed to proceed with a scheme for a two-storey building consisting of a banking hall with flat, which could be converted, if necessary, into office accommodation. Mr Surman is also arranging to modify somewhat the ornamentation of the frontage originally suggested by him. It is hoped that it will be possible to submit the revised plans and estimates to the meeting of your Committee.

 

With regard to the paragraph in the foregoing report as to the proposed building of premises at Smethwick, the plans and elevations as revised by the Architect were laid before the Committee of a two storey building consisting of a Banking Hall with flat which could be converted, if necessary, to office accommodation and would be of sufficient strength to enable a further storey to be superimposed should it be considered necessary at a later date, the estimated cost being 3,700.

 

6452   RESOLVED:- That, subject to an amendment in regard to the provision of a balustrade on the frontage of the building and to other amendments in respect of the Bank and flat considered desirable, the Chairman and Chairmen of the two Sub-Committees with the General Manager be authorised to approve plans and elevations, and that upon completion of purchase of the property, the Town Clerk and General Manager be directed to obtain tenders for the demolition of the existing building and the construction of the proposed new building, further that the General Manager be directed to place a board on the site advertising office accommodation.

 

Bank Committee: April 17th 1939

 

6490   The Committee considered the revised elevation of the proposed new Branch premises at Smethwick, which was generally approved.

 

Report of Town Clerk: April 21st 1939

 

Minute No 6346

 

I have to report that in accordance with the above Minute I have completed the purchase from the Smethwick Corporation for the sum of 4,000, of No 68 High Street, Smethwick, formerly known as "The Golden Cross".

 

Bank Committee: June 19th 1939

 

The Committee were informed that the Chairman and the Chairmen of the two Sub-Committees in the presence of the Committee Clerk had opened the following tenders received for the erection of Branch Bank premises with flat at Smethwick.

 

NEW BRANCH BANK PREMISES WITH FLAT - SMETHWICK.

 

ARCHITECT - MR J B SURMAN - ESTIMATE - 3,700.

 

LIST OF BUILDING CONTRACTORS WHO HAVE

PAID DEPOSIT FEES.

 

Name.

Address.

Time

(Months).

Amount of

Tender.

John Dallow & Sons

    Limited

Blackheath,

Birmingham

8

4050

135

T Elvins & Sons,

    Limited

Naden Works,

Soho Hill, 19

7

3997

120

Bitter & Sons, Ltd

Stratford Street,

Camp Hill, 11

7

4053

120

George Linnecor & Son

154 - 6,Newtown

Row, 6

7

4050

160

A Pearce & Son

Victoria Street,   (2)

Bordesley Green, 9

6

3800

70

Edge Bros (Builders)

    Limited

Sun Building,

Bennetts Hill, 2

---------------------------

Sanders (Builders)

   Limited

202, Stratford Road,

Shirley

9

4240

140

William Sapcote & Sons

87, Camden Street, 1

7

4065

103

L Smith

Oughton Road    (3)

Camp Hill, 11

9

3935

75. 10. 0.

Smith Bros.

    (Construction) Ltd

263-265, Stratford Rd

                  11

5

4149

125

M Squire & Son

    Limited

83-85, Edmund Road,

Saltley, 8

9

4500

152

D Webb & Son, Ltd

Soho Hill, 19

8

4130

130

W & J Webb

Great King Street

8

3997

110

Emlyn Williams

163, Victoria Road,

Aston, 6

8

4134

120

Edgar Crowder, Ltd

South Road,

Handsworth, 19

6

3970

95

James Moffat & Sons,

    Limited

South Road,

Camp Hill, 11

5/6

4295

175

Henry Morgan

11, Birchfield Rd.,

             19

6

4199. 10. 0.

134. 16. 0.

H Dare & Son, Ltd

Alum Rock Road,   (1)

Ward End, 88

6

3730

82

 

It was recommended that the tender of Messrs H Dare & Son Limited at the sum of 3,730 for the erection of Branch premises at Smethwick with the addition of 82 for reinforcement of strong-room accommodation, be accepted, the work to be completed within a period of six months; and that the Town Clerk be instructed to prepare any necessary contract, affixing the Corporate Seal thereto. It was accordingly:

 

6548  RESOLVED:- That Bank tender of H Dare & Son Limited at the sum of 3,730 for the erection of Branch Bank premises at Smethwick with the addition of 82 for reinforcement of strong-room accommodation, be accepted, the work to be completed within a period of six months; and that the Town Clerk be instructed to prepare any necessary contract, affixing the Corporate Seal thereto.

 

Report of the Town Clerk: October 14th 1939

 

I have to report that the following Contract is now duly completed:

 

H Dare & Son Ltd: Erection of Branch Municipal Bank at No 68 High Street, Smethwick

 

Bank Committee: October 16th 1939

 

6606  The following report of the Finance and General Purposes Sub-Committee was presented:

 

Contracts.

 

Your Sub-Committee have received a communication from the Town Clerk as to the effect of the War upon current pre-war contracts and in this connection have considered the position as to the Smethwick and Weoley Castle Contracts.

 

In the case of Smethwick, where demolition work has been completed and foundations of the new building commenced, the Contractors are being asked to bring foundations up to the damp course level, and it is proposed that the Contract be then suspended. A wood building has been purchased for the sum of 250, which it is intended to place on the site and open a daily Branch therein as soon as possible.

 

In the case of Weoley Castle, practically no work has been done and the Contractor has expressed his desire to give seven day's notice terminating the contract in accordance with the War Risk Clause. Your Sub-Committee agree to this course.

 

6609   RESOLVED:- That the arrangements indicated in the foregoing report as to the suspension of the contract in regard to the building at Smethwick, and the termination of the contract in respect of Weoley Castle, be approved and confirmed.

 

[The permanent premises at 66 High Street were finally completed in 1940, the following photographs being taken at the opening ceremony on October 23rd 1940 - attended by the Mayor of Smethwick and the Lord Mayor of Birmingham.]

 

 

BACK TO THE TOP