Branches
 
 
Home
 
 
Premises
 
 
Brookvale
 

Bank Committee: December 21st 1925

 

The following report of the General Purposes Sub-Committee was presented:

 

Brookvale Road Site.

 

Arrangements have been made, subject to the confirmation of the Estates Committee and the City Council, for the transfer to the Bank from the Estates Department of approximately 900 square yards of freehold land at a price of 15/- per square yard.

 

Your Sub-Committee recommend that the proposed transfer be arranged on these terms.

 

2208   RESOLVED:- That, subject to the approval of the Estates Committee and City Council, the transfer to the Bank by the Estates Department of approximately 900 sq yds of freehold land in Brookvale Road at the price of 15/- per sq yd be approved.

 

Bank Committee: January 18th 1926

 

2227 On Minute No 2208, the following communication was received from the Estates Committee agreeing to the proposed transfer to the Bank of land in Brookvale Road, subject to the approval of the City Council:

 

Land on Brookvale Estate.

 

5901 RESOLVED:- That subject to the approval of the Council, the offer of the Bank Committee to purchase the freehold of approximately 900 square yards of land at the corner of Brookvale Road and Brookvale Park Road at a price of 15 /- per square yard be accepted.

 

Bank Committee: February 15th 1926

 

On Minute No 2208, the following Minute of the City Council approving of the transfer of freehold land in Brookvale Road from the Estates Committee to the Bank Committee was received:

 

It was moved by Mr George Kenning, seconded, and

Resolved: 27,548. That the proposed transfer of a piece of freehold land at the corner of Brookvale and Brookvale Park Roads to the Bank Committee, on the terms set out in the foregoing report, be approved and confirmed.

 

2262   RESOLVED:- That Minute No 2208 be discharged.

 

Report of the General Purposes Sub-Committee: May 15th 1926

 

Temporary Branches at Brookvale, Stechford and Bordesley Green East.

 

The Public Works Committee have approved of portable wooden buildings being placed on these sites, and are prepared to issue licences for three years in each case.

  

General Purposes Sub-Committee: October 8th 1928

 

The report of the General Manager dealing with land surrounding the temporary buildings utilised by the Bank was submitted:

 

Land surrounding temporary buildings

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: October 14th 1929

 

1443   The General Manager stated that the licence for the temporary building at which the Brookvale Branch was at present conducted had been renewed by the Corporation for a further period expiring on the 23rd April, 1932.

 

General Manager's Report on Evening Branches: November 20th 1929

 

Brookvale Branch.

 

Opened 26th June 1926.

 

Year ended

31st March

No of

depositors

Depositors'

balances

No of

transactions

dealt with

 

 

.    s.   d.

 

1927

375

4,840. 18.  1.

3,058

1928

588

7,454.   5.  8.

5,803

1929

706

10,602.   4. 11

6,200

 

While the development of this branch has been satisfactory I think it has almost reached its extent, and that further substantial progress is doubtful. There is no possibility of housing developments on one side of the branch owing to the cemetery, destructor works, the River, and factories right along to Witton. Development parallel to this route is also retarded owing to allotments and factories. This area should be seen by the Committee with a view to deciding whether or not the branch could be transferred to a spot nearer to Stockland Green, where important housing developments have taken place. If any transfer is decided upon it should be to a permanent building with daily facilities. It would be detrimental to make a transfer for merely evening Bank facilities

 

Bank Committee: November 25th 1929

 

Evening Branches.

 

Your Committee have given careful consideration to a report by the General Manager dealing with the progress and development of the evening branches, and recommend as follows re Brookvale branch:

 

That, owing to the restricted housing development around the Brookvale branch, efforts be made to obtain a site or buildings nearer to Stockland Green, with a view to the Brookvale branch being transferred thereto.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: January 13th 1930

 

1482   On Minute No 1461 (proposed site in substitution for the site at Brookvale) the General Manager called attention to premises No 161, Reservoir Road and also land adjoining the Plaza Cinema at Stockland Green. Neither proposal was considered suitable and therefore no action was taken in the matter.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: April 13th 1931

 

1647   On Minute No 1461, the General Manager called attention to the circumstances at the Brookvale Branch, and the Sub-Committee directed that Mr Frank Wilde should be instructed to make further efforts forthwith to obtain a suitable site or premises at Stockland Green.

 

Bank Committee: June 18th 1934

 

5177   The following report of the General Purposes Sub-Committee was presented:

 

Brookvale Branch.

 

Your Sub-Committee have considered the desirability of converting the present evening branch at Brookvale into a daily branch and erecting suitable premises in place of the existing wood building which has served the Bank since the purchase of the land from the Estates Department in 1926. It should be pointed out that although it was formerly the intention of your Committee to secure an alternative site at Stockland Green, the position has now materially changed by reason of (1) the opening of the Short Heath Branch, and (2) the housing developments which have taken place along Marsh Hill. Your Sub-Committee are therefore of opinion that in these changed circumstances and having regard to the business transacted at the Branch as shown by the following figures, no advantage would accrue from changing the present site and that steps should be taken for the erection of permanent premises thereon.

 

Year ended

31st March

Depositors'

balances

No of

Accounts

No of Savings

Bank Transactions

 

.

 

 

1927

4,840

375

3,033

1928

7,454

588

5,678

1929

10,602

706

5,989

1930

13,216

826

6,468

1931

14,683

896

7,051

1932

16,817

932

6,818

1933

20,582

1,002

7,561

1934

23,577

1,130

8,609

 

They have accordingly instructed the General Manager to obtain competitive designs from four Architects for the erection of a branch bank with suitable dwellinghouse accommodation on the site in Brookvale Road, at a cost not exceeding 2,500, exclusive of bank counters and office furniture. They ask that this action be confirmed.

 

Note: The General Manager will submit to the meeting on Monday next a list of Architects who have undertaken work for the Bank and others who have made application to be put on the list for consideration when further work is required.

 

5179   On consideration of the foregoing report to the proposal to erect branch premises it was decided that as Brookvale was a corner site the estimated cost in this case should be increased from 2,500 to 2,750. The Committee agreed that the design should follow the lines of Pype Hayes Branch.

 

The Committee then proceeded to consider the selection of suitable Architects to prepare schemes for the erection of the premises in question and had before them a list of Architects who had previously undertaken work for the Bank and also those who had made application to carry out work for the Bank whose services had not been invited.

 

After consideration it was:

 

5180   RESOLVED:- That Mr John B Surman be invited to prepare a scheme for the erection of branch premises with dwelling accommodation on the site in Brookvale Road at a cost not exceeding 2,750.

 

Bank Committee: October 15th 1934

 

The following report of the General Purposes Sub-Committee was presented:

 

Buildings at Longbridge and Brookvale.

 

Tenders have been invited from building contractors for these works and the Town Clerk is making arrangements for the tenders to be opened and recommendations submitted to your Committee on Monday next.

 

5231   With reference to the paragraph in the foregoing report as to the proposed new building at Brookvale, the Chairman of the General Purposes Sub-Committee reported that tenders for these contracts had been received and opened in the presence of the Chairman and himself that morning; particulars of the tenders in question being as follows:

 

 

 

Extras

Time

(months)

Amount

T Elvins & Sons, Ltd

61

6

4820

Maddocks & Walford

69

5

4549

J Emlyn Williams

55

9

4620

William Sapcote & Sons

75

7

4895

Francis H Smith

-

-

-

W & J Webb

65

8

4880

A Pearce & Son

60

7

4505

B Whitehouse & Sons Ltd

58

6

4624

Geo Webb & Son Ltd

70

6

4695

E Crowder

66

7

4424

James Moffat & Sons

160

4/5

4671

Henry Morgan

69/10/-

6

4878

S F Swift & Sons Ltd

79

8

4701

Parsons & Morrin Ltd

57

5

4497

 

With regard to the proposed building at Brookvale, the tenders when opened were found to be considerably in excess of the original estimate. The Architect (Mr Surman) had attended and given certain explanations for the increased cost. It was, however, considered desirable that further consideration should be given to the matter before accepting a tender.

 

5233   RESOLVED:- That the question of the acceptance of a tender for the proposed building at Brookvale be deferred; and that the Chairman and the Chairman of the General Purposes Sub-Committee with the General Manager be requested to interview Mr Surman, the Architect, with regard to his plan and scheme in order to ascertain whether any amendment can be made therein so as to bring the cost within the amount fixed by the Committee, namely, 2,750, for the Branch Bank plus 1,000 for the flat and shops.

 

 

 

Continued .... 

Premises - Brookvale
 
The following Minutes have been extracted from the records
of the Bank's General Committee and its Sub-Committees.
 
The Minutes cover the period from December 1925 to October 1938.
BACK TO THE TOP
Early in 1926, a large plot of freehold land was purchased in the Erdington area, and an Evening Branch opened in a wooden building in June of that year. Progress was slow and a move to the Stockland Green area was contemplated. The opening of Short Heath branch and residential development near the Bank's site resulted in a decision to build a permanent branch in 1935. Utilising the large corner plot, a shop was incorporated into the design by the Architect - John Surman. The premises were officially opened on October 5th 1935.