Building Plans - Selly Oak Branch
Date Plans passed: June 2nd 1922
Architects: Gerald McMichael & A McKewan
Frederick J Briley
The 'Notice of Intention to Erect Buildings' for Selly Oak branch was submitted on May 8th 1922 but the plans were not passed
until June 2nd. On receipt of the plans, the City Building Surveyor noted on the Application Form "Is this a projection beyond adjoining
buildings which are not shown on Block Plan?". A letter from the City Engineer & Surveyor (below) to the Architect stated that
the block plan had not been properly completed.
In October 1928, the General Manager produced a report
that included the details of individual branch properties in relation to the
building line. In the case of Selly Oak branch the report stated that the premises were purchased with an open forecourt, and after
alterations the building remains in line with adjoining buildings
. The size of Selly Oak's forecourt was stated to be 15 square yards.
annotated to the Block Plan relate to this issue and may have been added after the comments of the planning authority. These notes
state that the Line of new front is the same as that of present properties
and widening this side
. It is also noted that the branch
premises will be 120-feet from the "Improvement Line" on the opposite side of Bristol Road. Another Block Plan
, drawn for the
purpose of obtaining the City Council's permission to purchase this property, more clearly shows the building lines.
notes appear to have satisfied the Plans Sub-Committee and the refurbished building was opened for business in February 1923
The Ground Floor Plan illustrates how two shops have been converted into a Banking Hall with a Strongroom and staff facilities to
the rear. The Bank's area narrows at the rear (which can be seen in the photograph of the interior, below) to accommodate the stairs
to the two, two-storey flats above the branch.
Other plan drawings show that the two existing bay windows on the first floor are to be removed, and detail the ceiling heights of
the ground and first floors.
The branch premises were enlarged to include the dwelling houses at the rear of
the shops in 1931. The architect was Stewart Evans and the work was done by E M Squire.