Next Image
Frank Kirtland
Frank Gilbert Kirtland was the Bank's resident Head Office caretaker at both Edmund Street and Broad Street. In the first of these three photographs he is shown standing at the entrance to the Broad Street premises.
Frank was a keen cricketer, and acted as the BMB Cricket Club's umpire for many years. In the second photograph he is wearing an umpire's coat (extreme right, back row). The team in this photograph may be the Bank's XI in the 1920s. Frank also features in the photograph of the Bank's 1955 championship winning group (see Image 023). The Frank Kirtland Cup was presented annually to the cricket club's 'Player of the Year'.
Prior to joining the Bank's staff, Frank was a Birmingham policeman, and the third photograph was taken in recognition of his bravery in rescuing someone who had fallen into a canal.
Photographs supplied by
Mike Birch and Ned Trifle.

Mike (Frank Kirtland's grandson) recalls visiting Broad Street
'as a young lad .... usually at the weekends, when I had the run of the bank and use of the billiard and table tennis tables' .
Frank Kirtland joined the Bank's staff in 1927. With his wife, he held the position of joint caretaker until 1938, when he became sole caretaker on Mrs Kirtland reaching the retirement age of 65; consequently, their joint wage of 4 per week was reduced by 10/- (but they enjoyed the benefit of a flat, free of all costs, on the premises).
In 1941, Mr and Mrs F G Brittain were appointed joint caretakers, and Frank Kirtland was given the post of commissionaire and handyman - which is when this photograph was probably taken.
Frank's daughter, Evelyn Mabel Birch, also worked for the Bank - as a cashier at Alum Rock, Erdington, and Pype Hayes branches.  
Image-095: Vegetables in the Street
Frank joined the Birmingham Police Force, A Division, on October 7th 1907, and served until his discharge on January 14th 1925. He was awarded the Royal Humane Society's Testimonial on Parchment for his actions in Hampton Street on November 16th 1922:
'A boy had been rescued from a burning room and had become unconscious owing to dense smoke. Frank, and William Jones a fireman, used the Schafer method and restored him in 20 minutes'.