Images
 
Next Image

Branch Openings: 1933 to 1939

 

The Bank recorded each of the official openings of its permanent branches with a series of photographs. This series normally included views of the branch's exterior and interior; a copy of the commemoration tablet affixed to an interior wall of the branch; a record of the dignitaries who attended the opening ceremony; and photographs of the assembled crowd. Selections of photographs from these events are included in individual branch entries - this page portrays other aspects from opening ceremonies in the years 1933 to 1939.

Yardley -
May 12th 1933
:
Generally, the official photographer
recorded only the frontage of the new branch. The very large, free-standing premises at Yardley required this angled view to illustrate the building's full proportions, and show a shop unit that was incorporated into the premises at one end - a similar unit was at the other end
Yardley -
May 12th 1933
:
Most of the official photographs recorded the principal dignitaries in the branch doorway prior to the opening ceremony. Here the Lord Mayor, Lady Mayoress, Chairman, and the General Manager are shown leaving after the event. A number of local children have managed to include themselves in the photograph
Brandwood -
May 20th 1933
:
Only twelve days after attending the Yardley opening, the Lady Mayoress arrives in her official limousine to open Brandwood
Brandwood -
May 20th 1933
:
The same occasion, the Lord Mayor addresses the assembled guests inside the branch

Broad Street Head Office -
November 27th 1933
:
The Bank's General Manager (J P Hilton) leaves after the top-hatted ceremony performed by HRH The Prince George, KG

Longbridge -
September 7th 1935
:
One of the informal photographs that were occasionally taken at these formal events. This one shows the Lord Mayor (Alderman S J Grey) patronising a local shop (to buy cigarettes?) prior to the ceremony commencing. His actions appear to have amused the General Manager (left) and the Bank's Chairman (Councillor A H Cooper)

Sutton Coldfield -
July 13th 1936
:
This group are on the customers' side of the counter, intently listening to the speeches made as the commemorative tablet is unveiled. They appear to consist of pillars of local society, including the vicar

Solihull -
July 20th 1938
:
The opening ceremony on this occasion was performed by the Chairman of Solihull Council (Councillor H W Miller). He did not have to travel far, as he is shown here crossing Poplar Road from the Council House to Solihull branch

Solihull -
July 20th 1938
:
A similar situation to that recorded at Sutton Coldfield, above. This photograph shows a number of features that were common to all branches - cashiers' desks; partitioned shelves for depositors to complete deposit or withdrawal slips (far wall); emergency gas light fittings, and a clock

080
 
Home