Broad Street Head Office -the Official Opening ceremony
The ceremony to lay the Foundation Stone for the Bank's new Head Office in Broad Street took place on Saturday, October 22nd 1932.
The following photographs record the Official Opening ceremony - performed by HRH The Prince George, KG, on Monday, November 27th
The crowd assembling in Broad Street for the opening ceremony. A spectator on the adjoining building gets a 'bird's eye view'
HRH The Prince George outside the Bank's front door, with the Lord Mayor (Horace Edward Goodby)
The Bank's General Manager (J P Hilton) and Assistant General Manager (Frank Ellison) arrive for the ceremony.
J P Hilton is
to the left of HRH, who is about to shake hands with Mr Ellison. The Assistant General Manager recalled this occasion some thirty-six
Also arriving are:
Alderman Poole (below left) and
Alderman Morland (below right)
The Prince George is handed the key to perform the official opening.
Neville Chamberlain is amongst those watching on the left
Various members of the official party enter the building
The Prince George, accompanied by the Lord Mayor, leaves at the completion of the formalities, both having signed the Visitors'
An inscribed stone on the building's facade,
recorded the day's event
A Commemoration Dinner was held on the evening
the same day:
Invitation and Ticket
Neville Chamberlain leaves
Sir Percival Bower
(Chairman 1926 to 1932)
R R Gelling
(Chairman 1932 to 1934)
leave at the conclusion of the opening ceremony
The Prince George and the Lord Mayor
immediately prior to the official opening ceremony