Branch Openings: 1927 to 1928
The Bank recorded each of the official openings of its permanent branches with a series of photographs.
This series normally included views of the branch's exterior and interior; a copy of the commemoration tablet affixed to an interior
wall of the branch; a record of the dignitaries who attended the opening ceremony; and photographs of the assembled crowd. Selections
of photographs from these events are included in individual branch entries - this page portrays other aspects from opening
ceremonies in the years 1927 to 1928.
May 7th 1927:
The opening ceremonies frequently attracted large crowds - the advertisement in the window behind
lamp may have helped to stimulate interest. Attendance was probably assisted by the fact that the vast majority of opening ceremonies
were held on a Saturday
Witton - The Lord Mayor performed the ceremony
September 3rd 1927:
The Bank's Chairman (Percival Bower) and the Lord Mayor (Alderman A H James) arrive for the opening of
large number of children present at the event was undoubtedly due to an offer made by Mr W J Adams, JP, who had offered to add two
shillings to the accounts of the first 250 children who opened an account with one shilling
September 3rd 1927:
The attire of the local population contrasts markedly with that worn by Messrs Bower and James, above.
September 10th 1927:
Just one week after attending the ceremony at Witton, the Chairman and Lord Mayor arrive for a repeat
performance at Moseley. On this occasion, Percival Bower has the honour of opening the branch - together with his wife, the Bowers
more branches than anyone else
Kings Heath -
June 2nd 1928:
This was the second formal opening for Kings Heath - the original branch on the same site having been officially
opened on April 24th 1922
Selly Park -
September 15th 1928:
The Lord Mayor (Alderman A H James) crosses Pershore Road from Selly Park Council Schools. On his
left is the Bank's General Manager, J P Hilton.
After a tea provided for distinguished guests, the Lord Mayor is walking the short
distance to the new branch in order to perform the opening ceremony